The Caxton Building was erected from 1901 to 1903. It is one of the finest expressions of tall steel-framed buildings in Cleveland. The president of the Caxton Building Company was Ambrose Swasey, a promoter of the benefits of engineering to mankind. The building was originally devoted to such occupants in the graphic-arts trades as the Caxton Co., a commercial printing and graphics arts business. It was named after William Caxton, the first British printer in the 15th Century. The architect was Frank Barnum, official Cleveland public school architect beginning in 1895, who specialized in functional, fireproof, utilitarian school construction.
The main entry of the eight story building on Huron Road is a large semicircular terra cotta archway with Romanesque details. The upper stories of the facade are treated so as to stress the verticality of the construction. The floors in the rear (South) part of the building were constructed to accommodate printing presses and can bear loads of 300 pounds per square foot.
In 1905 it was occupied by the business of Alfred Cahen, which subsequently became the World Publishing Company. Declared a Cleveland landmark in 1976, the early 1990's saw ongoing restoration and renovations to the building interior. Located North of the Gateway Complex, the building houses numerous restaurants and cafes.
For the last ten years the Caxton Building has boasted a 90% occupancy rate. Tenants include law firms, venture capital firms, web-based designers and marketers as well as many entrepreneurs and Fortune 500 companies.